It is one of the sweetest battles you will have to endure when planning the wedding ceremony. Even when you decide the type of cake you want, you have the flavor to deal with. There is chocolate, yellow, marble, red velvet, and even blue velvet. The many choices can be dizzying because there are so many wedding cake ideas out there.
But what about the wedding cakes versus cupcakes debate?
Wedding cakes are traditional. However, using cupcakes instead is something that is somewhat new in the wedding arena. Then again, there are some brides and grooms that decide on small wedding cakes and they want them accompanied by cupcakes because cupcakes can be quite easy for the guests to deal with. They also add a nice, affordable touch.
The Visual Element
Many individuals love going to weddings and seeing the large wedding cake just waiting to be eaten. In fact, one of the most exciting aspects of the day may be the wedding cake. The size, the craftsmanship, and the deliciousness are all things that guests look forward to.
However, cupcakes can be made to look quite nice as well. The taste can be practically identical to a traditional wedding cake, and they can be arranged on tiers. Basically, wedding cakes and cupcakes expand the number of wedding cake ideas that are out there. Cupcakes are starting to gain some traction in the world of wedding receptions because they are easy to eat.
Here is a breakdown to compare elements of the wedding cake versus wedding cupcakes debate:
- Wedding cupcakes are easy to eat because you don’t need a plate or fork.
- The quality of the taste ties.
- Cake wins the prettiness factor.
- Cupcakes win in the area of price.
- When it comes to the degree of creativity that goes into cups and cupcakes, it’s a tie.
- Cakes can be made into any shape. You can have round, square, triangle, rectangle, or a different shape for every tier.
- Cupcakes can be made in different sizes. You can have traditionally sized cupcakes, bite-sized cupcakes, or extra large wedding cupcakes.
Because of the benefits of both wedding cakes and wedding cupcakes, some individuals opt for both. They will have a wedding cake made and that cake will be accompanied by matching cupcakes. This gives guests a choice. Some prefer cake and some prefer cupcakes and the bride and groom don’t have to worry about running out of cake or guests not being able to have seconds if they want them.
Wedding Cake and Wedding Cupcake Pairings
Here are some ideas that involve wedding cake being paired with cupcakes:
- A tiered cupcake holder can be used to place cake on the top tier and cupcakes on the remainder of the tiers.
- A tiered wedding cake can be accompanied by cupcakes on another tier. The tiers can be of different sizes and sit on each end of the table.
- If you like spread out tiers of varying heights, you can alternate cupcakes with actual cake and create quite the spread. This is a great way to really make the cake colorful.
- You can have a tiered wedding cake and cupcakes spread throughout the entire table for a more relaxed look.
- One giant cupcake surrounded by traditional sized cupcakes can be a lot of fun.
There are many wedding cake and wedding cupcake ideas that you can look at and draw inspiration from so you can have the cake that you have always wanted.
Match the Wedding Theme
Another aspect of whether or not to have just a cake, just cupcakes, or both is the theme of the wedding. Cupcakes can be made to be elegant, but they sometimes work best for those who want flexibility and who want to ensure they have enough cake without having to pay the cost. Just keep in mind that if you have a highly sophisticated wedding theme, you may want to ensure that any cupcakes are made in such a way that they carry that exact vibe.